Monday, April 16, 2012

Symbiosis & Shaggy the Cat

Symbiosis - as defined by Wikipedia: is close and often long-term interaction between different biological species.

Yes folks, I know this is a blog about the dog but we have two cats also and they've been with us for ten years now.  Our cats are Scooby and Shaggy.  I thought it would be cute to give the cats dog names and theirs come from the cartoon, for anyone not familiar.  Scooby is Husband's cat and Shaggy is my cat.  They are identical twins in looks but have very different catitudes.  Scooby is afraid of his own shadow and Shaggy, well, not so much.  Scooby's fur is so silky and clean and Shaggy, well, not so much!  Let's just say your hand feels a little film of dirt on his fur when petting him.  Needless to say, he lives up to his name.

We've always had a cat door, which is now also a dog door, and Shaggy makes good use of it by going out hunting every night.  Ewww, you are thinking... dead critters.  Not quite.  Shaggy is a special kind of hunter.  He only hunts trash.  Yes, trash.  His favorite items to bring us are empty Marlboro cigarette packs.  He's brought us other brands but that one comes in most often.  Over the years he's brought us dirty napkins, old lottery tickets, socks, a bag of used hair ties, restaurant menus, empty chip bags and the list goes on and on.  I just love my Shaggy.

Shaggy with some of his hunted trash.


Actually, when the dogs arrived I noticed we received fewer trash gifts from Shaggy but he is back to his normal delivery rate and it seems Mr. Fox and Scruffy are happy about this.  You know Mr. Fox just loves a balled up napkin or paper towel and Shaggy loves bringing them home.  Hence, the perfect symbiotic relationship has been born.  Shaggy brings the trash and Fox & Scruffy tear it up.  I ask you, does it get any better than that?  Well, ok, maybe!

Mmmmm.... trash!

My Shaggy is the most special cat.  I know you may think that about your cat but really, this boy is something else.  I was never a big cat person having grown up with dogs but being a renter for a long time, I became one.  Shaggy is outgoing and loving and I believe he and Scooby are Maine Coons which is the kind of cat you see on most greeting cards, etc.  Before the dogs came along Shaggy would lay on me every night and I don't just mean in my lap, I mean on my chest, purring the night away.  Then it would be off to bed where he would sleep right next to me.  Poor guy has been displaced a bit by the dogs.  He has been a very good sport about it and not peed on anything as a punishment to us.  Cats do that you know, get you back for living in THEIR house.  They merely put up with us.  Shaggy, you are the best cat!

2 comments:

  1. A trash cat???? How cool is that???

    Aroo, Stuart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Stuart! I think my friends are afraid to leave comments.

      Delete