Monday, January 21, 2013

Sleep

I started writing this post Sunday morning, after a bad night's sleep Saturday night.  Read on people, uh dogs.

I love my fur babies but damn they don't help me have a good night's sleep.  Last night was typical.

At 3:30am Mr. Fox bolted off the bed and out the dog door barking his head off.  I laid there thinking he'll be done in a minute.  Nope.  Got up to get him in at which time Scruffy ran out the dog door and began barking.  As I am standing at the door with the cold air whisper yelling, "MR. FOX!  BAD DOG!" Husband, from the bed, says, "Bad Dog" and in they both trot.  &^%&$ dogs!

Now, that wouldn't be too bad if I could fall back to sleep right away like Husband does.  But no, no I can''t and part of the reason is because Scruffy, in her new relaxed state, decided to lay next to me expecting copious amounts of petting and rubbing and any time I slowed down or stopped she gave me the nose under my hand.  I get it dog.  I'll keep going since I'm not sleeping anyway.  After a good half hour of this she seemed content enough to have me stop.  I'm in the clear I thought, and can try to fall asleep again.

Not so fast.  Along came Shaggy, the best cat.  He now expected his fair share of rubbing.  He decided to put himself on my chest.  He's 20lbs.  At least he purred.  I do love the purring.  It really is calming.  After another 20 minutes, I decided to try and roll ever so slightly so he'd sort of fall off to the side and I could just keep my arm on him.  He got up and left.  Finally, I rolled over AND COULDN'T SLEEP!!!  It must've been close to 5am when I finally fell asleep again.

This morning I am wondering why I care weather the cat and dog or comfortable?  OMG!  Something is wrong with me!

Apparently something isn't wrong with me.  We didn't open Saturday's mail until Sunday after I typed the above and received this:
It say's 'excessive dog barking is a nuisance to your neighbors.'
I looked at Husband and said that's it, we have to get the bark collar.  I've thought of this for a while and am not surprised we got this in mail  we have apartments that border our yard and who wants to be woken up at 3 am every night.  I know you're thinking 'why not just close the dog door?'  I wish I could but I have Shaggy, the best cat, who will go insane if he can't go out at night and hunt trash. 

Mr. Fox in his new accessory.
Husband, the real softie in the house, tried this out on himself first and said it just feels like a pinch.  Mr. Fox got pinched twice and that was the end of that.  No more barking.  Now I have to work on Scruffy.  She's smaller and as my mother has said, trainable.  My mother, ace dog trainer, has said that Mr. Fox is untrainable :(  I know, he's bad, very impulsive but leaps and bounds better than when we rescued him from his life on the street.  I took him on a walk with the collar and it worked quite well in his two usual spots where he goes insane (after walking the same way for a year and a half).  He got excited but not psycho.  This thing doesn't just pinch him willy nilly, so that makes my guilt feel better.  Please don't yell at me - we've been at a loss with this boy and doing the best we can.

18 comments:

  1. We hope that sorts out the problem. Don't want neighbours as enemies.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    SHE's such a bad sleeper that SHE interrupts our sleep! We stay away from her.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope so too. Mr. Fox can still bark, just not 100 times in a row like a nutjob. Plus, we take it off him if we don't think he needs it. It's really the night time that's the bigger problem. We tried to make the pups sleep in the other room but they scratched at the door and cried. Ugh. Glad you ladies are sleeping soundly and SHE is too.

      Delete
  2. Well if it works, OK we can live wih it. Bites says "Noway, I was born to Bark!"

    Your Pals
    Sus & Bites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foxy was born to bark too and it's a shame we have an apartment building next to us because I feel for the people at 3am too.

      Delete
  3. Uh oh! Well, it's good there's a solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, not favorite one but we take it off when there's no need for it. I have guilt.

      Delete
  4. Ahhh mummy said be careful with the collars because very often they make a dogs barking worse and can even cause mental scarring on a doggy (thats if the shock is bad though). Mum said she's not shouting she's just warning, be careful, we wouldn't want anything to happen to your beautiful doggies!!!!
    Love Milo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been watching him closely and have guilt. It's not bad shock and he seems to have realized just how loud he can make noise with no effects. Maybe we will win the lottery and get to move to a big house with no neighbors around us.

      Delete
  5. That's a good one Kyla. I'd like to tell them a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey you guys! I'm so sorry you got the notice of complaint, my family also got one 10 years ago when we first moved here with our hound (if you can imagine) now being put in a backyard beside a busy street and sidewalk,lol. If that collar doesn't work or you don't want to use it have you tired the dog bark collars that do a high frequency noise that we can't here, but they can that goes off when they bark? I have seen it in the store so just wondering. Hope though that the collar works and helps her settle down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't see any with the noise. They had one with citronella spray but Mr. Fox has been sprayed with water, by us idiots, for his incessant barking and it only makes him bark more. So far so good.

      Delete
  7. He'll be fine--it sounds like it worked fast and maybe eventually when he's internalized his good behavior he won't need it any more.

    Hey, easy for me to say it's okay cause I'm a CAT! We nefur bark ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spitty, the felines in my house are the reason I can not close the dog/cat door. Shaggy has to go out and hunt trash for us at night. If he can't, he bangs on the door until he gets his way. Ugh. Hopefully he won't need the collar for ever.

      Delete
  8. Laughing at Kyla's comment as usual..BOL popped over from Susie and Sidebite :) Pop pover and have some bacon, if youv'e got someink in ya mouth, you can't bark..BOL xx00xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you tried the collar that sprays out citronella?

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Buddy! Hope everything is going well and you're learning that there are good times to bark and bad times to bark!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No problem with the bark collar. Sweet William wore one his first year of life. He was a barker. Ocassionally I have to bring it out again, but guess what I don't have a battery in it anymore. Manners are required here and in where he goes.
    Thanks for being a friend
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, I've never been much of a barker, but - disturbing the peeps' sleep? Yes indeedy. I'm a snorer.

    Arooo, Stu

    ReplyDelete