Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Macadamias = Bad News

I almost killed the dog.

I am an idiot.  Sometimes I think the animals are smarter than us humans, but then again the idiot animal ate the macadamias I gave him.  Shouldn't at least HE know they are toxic to his kind!

My little thief - Foxy Boy - was cutely leaning his snout on to the coffee table and grabbing a macadamia nut here and there off a paper plate we had them in.  Husband, T and I had been munching on them earlier.  There were about 15 nuts left on the plate and I said, "Oh Foxy, you can have them." And then I put the plate on the floor for him so he wouldn't have to crane his neck to eat the nuts.  Little did I know.

My baby didn't sleep with me.  I didn't notice :/

Husband got up in the morning and said that Foxy had puked up something disgusting.  I queried...  "What did it look like?"  "White squares."  Husband said, in a sleepy voice, this being at 7 am.  I found Mr. Fox laying on the couch unable to walk.  He was lethargic and hot.  My poor baby.  I thought about running to the vet and taking the day off.  However, two things went through my mind.  First, I can not get a sub this close to the school day starting and second, I don't have another $2500 to fix this but... I have a credit card with a big limit.  Husband said he would keep Fox with him all day in his truck as drove from job site to errand to job site, etc.  I felt better but would've liked to hear, "Oh honey, I will take the dog to the vet the minute it opens and pay any amount of money."  I will take what I can get however.

Off to school I go.  Teach the children...  Worry about dog...  Teach... Text Husband...  Husband called. (Normally I don't answer the phone while teaching but this time I did.) He told me Mr. Fox was walking around and even at some cat crunchies.  I know that's not good but we are rule breakers around here.  Plus Foxy was excited to go on his daily ride in Husband's truck to take T to school.  Phew.

It wasn't until later that day that it hit me - the white square things were the macadamia nuts from the night before.  I came home from work and checked the internet where I found out that macadamias, onions, grapes and chocolate, among other things are toxic to our furry friends.  I knew about the chocolate but not the others.  Yikes.

Mr. Fox & Scruffy having a snuggle.

I will be much more careful in feeding my babies from now on!

4 comments:

  1. We all have thsoe moments, Mom does dumb stuff all the time just for us and doesn't tell dad, and you wonder why we love THEM!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try, Susie, we try! I think the saddest thing was when I picked up my little boy from school and he asked if Fox was dead :( So sad, but I'm happy i could tell him Foxy was ok. Later that night Mr. Fox stole T's sandwich off his plate! Thanks for visiting and commenting!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh Foxy you made my Lee hit the computer to check on cashews. Lee always give me a few of them to nibble. Thank goodness cashews are safe for doggies. We are so glad you are fine and that you told us about macadamia nuts.
    Nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet William, we have always given Foxy a few macadamias and cashews too. They have never been a problem. I think he OD'd. I have guilt, but I got sooo many licks I feel better now.

    ReplyDelete